This is the home of the SciComp@UNC virtual machine, a pre-configured environment for scientific computation teaching and research. Browse the showcase to get an idea of the capabilities of the environment.
In brief, SciComp@UNC:
- Is built on top of TarHeel Linux, a version of CentOS and Scientific Linux localized for the UNC network environment
- Adds on a selection of applications of relevance to scientific computation
- Provides customization of the installed applications to ensure they all work together
- Production of live documents with embedded code to allow interactive investigation of topics within scientific computing
- Verifiable and reproducible research in scientific computing
- Portability to new hardware hosts by simple copying of the virtual machine